Saturday, December 19, 2009

6 Days 'til Christmas

6 Days 'til Christmas and we're busy making candy and baking cookies.
Today was the last Farmer's Market of the year, so I went and stocked up for holiday meals.
I hadn't decided what to make for our holiday meals yet, and found some interesting options at the market. JenEhr Farms had fresh pasture raised rabbit for the first time. I have to admit, I'm more of a bunny hugger than kill-and-cooker, but I was intrigued by Farmer Paul's desciption of how their cook had prepared the dish on the grill, so I decided to give it a try. I'm letting the meat age and we'll enjoy it on Christmas Eve and let you know what we thought.
I'm researching recipes and found this one from Jamie Oliver that sounds intriguing: grilled and marinated rabbit (coniglio marinato alla griglia). I also picked up some beauty spinach from JenEhr. I purchased some chorizo, bacon, summer sausage, lamb chops and beef tenderloin from Jordandal Farms. I picked up eggs from Pecatonica Farms, cheese from Forgotten Valley Cheese, and sweet potatoes and lettuce mix from Don's Produce, carrots and garlic from Driftless Organics, and apples from Green's Pleasant Spring Orchard. By then my bags were full and my wallet empty so I headed home, pleased with my finds for holiday meals. I'm sorry that the market is closed for the next two weeks, but happy for the farmers that they will have a break from their busy schedules to spend time with their families enjoying their bounty for the holidays. The next market will be at the Madison Senior Center on January 9, 2010.

No comments: