Monday, August 17, 2009

Kale

Over the past couple of years I have tried many different kale recipes, trying to find one or two that I like. In general I find kale to be too bitter for my taste. In spite of that I know the nutritional value of kale is super, so I keep on trying. This year I tried Tuscan or lacinato kale and guess what?! I like it!
Here's a quick and easy pasta recipe to try:
Tuscan Kale and Pasta
Ingredients:
1 large onion, thinly sliced
3-4 cloves garlic, chopped
4-6 Tbsp olive oil
salt and fresh ground pepper
1 bunch Tuscan kale
1/2 pound pasta--bowties or penne work well with this
Fresh grated reggiano parmesan or romano cheese
Saute onion and garlic, with salt and pepper in 4 Tbsp olive oil over medium heat for about 20 minutes until tender
Meanwhile, bring a pot of water to a boil and boil the kale for about 20 minutes. Then scoop the kale out with a slotted spoon and add to onion mixture. Boil the pasta in the kale water and then scoop that out with a slotted spoon and add to onion and kale mixture. Add about 3/4 cup of the pasta water to pasta mixture and stir. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese and add salt to taste. Drizzle 1-2 Tbsp olive oil over the top and enjoy!
Optional: If you like for extra protein you can add 1 cup of cooked lentils or you can saute some proscuitto with the onions and garlic.

No comments: