Sunday, May 3, 2009

Asparagus Hummus

YEAH! It's asparagus season in southern Wisconsin...my absolute favorite time of year, because in addition to asparagus there are Morels too!
I missed the first two outdoor farmer's markets first because of meetings and second because of visiting our new granddaughter, Isabel Maria, who is adorable and I'll post photos soon.
Anyway, I finally made it to the Dane County Farmer's Market on Saturday morning about 7:30 am and was pleasantly surprised to find asparagus. I actually didn't expect it for a week or two...mine hasn't even poked through the soil yet, but one farmer said he brought 40 pounds and that was already gone by 7:30...I suspect perhaps Tory Miller from L'Etoile was there bright and early preparing for his day in the kitchen, and I don't blame him one bit.
Anyway I made something unusual and fun...Asparagus Hummus...and here's the recipe:
1 lb fresh steamed asparagus-al dente
1 can garbanzo beans
3 cloves garlic
2 tbsp lemon zest
2 tbsp tahini
approx 3 tbsp olive oil...or enough for the consistency you like best
salt to taste
Mix everything in the food processor until smooth.
Refrigerate several hours or overnight.
Serve with homemade or store bought whole wheat pita bread.
Everyone loved it, and guess what...Protein and veggies--yummy!

No comments: