Sunday, August 30, 2009

Black Bean Quinoa Burgers

I've been eating a lot of veggie burgers lately and my favorite are some that I get from Jim's Meat Market on Northport Drive. They have great meats and they supply the Madison Mallards with veggie burgers. They're super easy and fast to cook--straight from freezer to grill or stovetop. They are a bit fragile, so I recommend cooking them in a pan or a grill pan, rather than straight on the grill--otherwise you risk having part go through the grate. I decided to try making some of my own variety and here's what I used:
1 can black beans drained and rinsed
1 cup cooked quinoa
1/2 small onion minced
1 large handful fresh basil (you could substitute other herbs or just leave them out)
1 Tablespoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon celery salt
1 teaspoon seasoned salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
2 pieces bread or 1/2 cup bread crumbs. I used frozen baguette chips that I keep on hand for making bruschetta.
Mix together in the food processor or mash by hand--you want the beans to be pretty well smashed. Form into patties and cook or freeze.
Note: quinoa is a super food--inexpensive and very high in protein and other nutrients. You cook it like rice-1 part quinoa to 2 parts water about 25-30 minutes. It is great to add to salads or soups or served as a side dish. It soaks up the flavors of whatever you put with it.
Let me know what you think of the veggie burgers, or even submit your favorite recipe on the comments section.
Enjoy!

1 comment:

Simon said...

I really enjoyed this recipe; I've been looking for a good black bean and quinoa burger recipe for a while. This one was great because it was simple yet full of flavor. Though, I did have a few additions. First, I slightly sauteed the onions with some fresh garlic and I added a teaspoon of cumin and minced jalapenos.